Sweet and Spiced Breakfast Mince (3 ingredients)
You know those mornings when you don’t feel like eggs (again), but you need something more filling than cereal or a slice of toast. When you need a nourishing breakfast, but don’t have much in the fridge?
Well this simple breakfast mince hits the spot (and is the breakfast of choice for our eldest son). It’s packed with protein and healthy fats, is naturally sweetened by dates and has just a hint of spiciness from the ginger.
But the best thing is that it contains just 3 ingredients!
Often mince gets overlooked at breakfast in favour of other meats such as bacon or sausages, but we wonder why because it’s so versatile.
This dish can be kept simple by serving it on toast, or made to look more ‘upmarket’ by serving it in vol-au-vent cases. You could even top it with a poached egg if you’ve got an ‘egg for breakfast everyday’ mindset!
So if you’re in a breakfast rut, and need something warm to get you fuelled and ready for the day, we encourage you to try this breakfast mince. And don’t be surprised if our eldest son gets wind of your plans and decides to join you 😉
Quick Sweet and Spiced Breakfast Mince
- 400g beef, lamb or mutton mince
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3/4 – 1 jar Spicy Date and Ginger Chutney (or to taste)
- Preheat a large heavy-based frypan over medium-high heat.
- When pan is well warmed, brown mince and break up any clumps of meat.
- Add onion and cook for a further 5 minutes or till meat is well browned and onion is translucent.
- Add desired amount of Spicy Date and Ginger Chutney and heat through for a further 2 minutes.
- Taste and season.
- Serve immediately on toast or with left-over vegies.
Storage Tips: Keeps in the fridge for 2 -3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.